(OT?)Re: gnupg 1.0.7 compiled for Windows

markus_kampkoetter markus_kampkoetter@t-online.de
Mon Sep 2 19:10:08 2002

hi folks,
i am not sorry for being blunt (not even after looking up the meaning of the
word)

Eugen Leitl schrieb:
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Ed Suominen wrote:
>
> > Sorry for being blunt, but the attitude Eugen Leitl expressed (shared by
>
> Sorry for being blunt, but Martin Schoch sent a followup to a private mail
> to the list by manually adding gnupg-users@ to the headers. In case you
> were not aware of that, Martin, this is simply unacceptable behaviour. Try
> not doing that again. It's rude as hell..

good point, thats true. for i was this private person i should say something:
1. in this case i have no probs with that
2. i had no probs because i did not think about it; something that should not
happen especially on a list that is about privacy
3. it happened due to the behavior of my e-mail-software: if i just "answer" a
mail from a list, sometimes the software takes the private e-mail address,
sometimes the list-address (depending on the list). i did not take care about
this when i answered to martin.

> (...)
> I personally think that a sudden influx of clueless proprietary software
> users would considerably harm the community, while not actually helping
> the users migrate. Looks clearly lose/lose to me.

don´t be affraid, there will not be any sudden influx of clueless proprietary
software users because "we" normally do not know enough about computers and/or
computing to invade suddenly the wide terrain of free software. even if, what
would be the harm?

> (...)
>
> Even better, pick up programming yourself.

so you have to be a farmer to have something nice to eat? (well, at least a
good cook ;-)

> If you're a Windows user, ask Google for Cygwin. It's a free/open source
> *nix compatibility shell some nice people built for Windows. Install it,
> download last version of GPG (or whatever package you want) which builds
> there, and get familiar with the build process. Then download the newest
> version, and try building it as well. It will break in interesting ways.
> Try to understand the error messages. If you can't, ask the developers.
> They're busy, but they might help you.

thats a good hint. and thanx to the developers.

> You might not become a programmer (though it is a possibility), but you at
> least would 1) learn something in the process, becoming an empowered user
> 2) are not a dead weight on the community. Similiar applies to bugs.
> Report them in a well documented way to appropriate channels.

this way even windows users (for whatever reason) can help opensource projects
if these are available for that platform (that does not mean, that the
developers are obliged to make it available)

> (...)

no doubt, M$ is a pain in the as, but its a dinosaur (nothing against
dinosaurs), so relax and give all users the time to make up their minds even if
its not easy to be patient.

i am happy that there exists a way to use gnupg on my windows-box. i am not
happy with windows. at the moment i am to busy to change to linux (its said that
to learn chinese medicine you need 800 years, so sometimes i prefer to read a
classical book than a computerrelated manual) but as time goes by...

regards

markus (c:
--
markus kampkoetter
praxis für chinesische medizin

# meine e-mails enthalten keine anhänge, die nicht im textkörper namentlich mit
ihrer dateiendung aufgeführt werden, ausführbare programme (.exe) verschicke ich
grundsätzlich nicht. #