out of memory

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Tue Sep 3 09:37:02 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:56:55 -0400, Adam Shostack said:

> /home/adam% gpg --ignore-crc-error -v l
> gpg: armor header: Version: PGP 7.1
> gpg: CRC error; 2e34c0 - 91a010

The message is garbled but I see that you know this.

> gpg: public key is 5378B231
> gpg: out of  memory while allocating 3089127983 bytes

A length field of a packet claims that a packet is that large and the
malloc obviously fails.

As with all GNU programs, there are no arbitrary limits and OpenPGP
does not specify upper bounds for a packet. GnuPG happily assumes that
someone used an entire movie as a user ID or signature notation data.

You might want to use gpg --list-packets to see where it bails out or
try to split the message up into packets by running gpgsplit.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner