Discussion medium proposal.

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex@FUCKUP.fantastyka.net
Wed Sep 11 15:12:02 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:09:40AM -0400, Justin Troutman wrote:
> I would like to propose another medium in which to discuss GnuPG
> matters, albeit hopefully satisfactory to you.
>
> A few friends of mine who run a small, stable IRC server have
> graciously allowed me the opportunity to place a "#gnupg"
> channel on the server.
>
> The server is public, but has a small user-base and stable
> uptimes. The operators are very knowledgeable and would be more
> than happy to have a channel
> which pertains to GnuPG discussion.
>
> My idea is that this may be another convenient way in which to
> discuss GnuPG, without the hassle of most large IRC servers
> which are drowned in lag and thousands of users, without relying
> solely on the mailing list.
>
> If you are interested in this idea, feel free to reply with any
> questions you might have.

While I think it is a good idea to have such kind of medium, using IRC on
single server is not that good idea. or using IRC at all.

What I suggest is to use SILC (http://silcnet.org). It is similar to IRC in
general feel and appearance, it has support in Irssi IRC client, but the
network is designed to be more robust - and is protected by cryptography.
Everything is encrypted and users are distinguished by their key ids.

The authors of SILC promise to include support of OpenPGP keys in future.

If anyone thinks its a good idea, please join the 'official' SILC network,
channel G10 (note the missing leading '#').

Cheers.

Alex