Discussion medium proposal.

Justin Troutman justinrt@bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 12 10:41:02 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Janusz A. Urbanowicz <alex@FUCKUP.fantastyka.net>
To: Justin Troutman <justinrt@bellsouth.net>
Cc: <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: Discussion medium proposal.

> While I think it is a good idea to have such kind of medium, using IRC on
> single server is not that good idea. or using IRC at all.

Actually, there are 3 active servers for this IRC network I speak of,
although, I understand your point.  The offer still stands, either way.

> What I suggest is to use SILC (http://silcnet.org). It is similar to IRC
in
> general feel and appearance, it has support in Irssi IRC client, but the
> network is designed to be more robust - and is protected by cryptography.
> Everything is encrypted and users are distinguished by their key ids.

Ahh, SILCnet. This is a superb idea. As I've been familiar with it for quite
some time, the initial idea of using it here had not occurred to me then.
As it does utilize cryptography, it does fill an appropriate niche.
Thanks for your reply, as well as this idea.

As I said, the offer for the IRC channel still stands.  Whichever is the
most convenient and appropriate for the purpose is quite alright by me.
SILCnet may very well be.  However, my only question is, for the purpose of
a discussion medium alone, would a cryptographically-sound structure be
necessary? I ask this because I see that many do not even utilize
cryptography (GnuPG) on this mailing list, (encrypting, signing, et cetera.)
although some do.

Using cryptography is a great practice, as I do everyday, don't get me
wrong, but this happened to cross my mind.

> The authors of SILC promise to include support of OpenPGP keys in future.

True. I feel this is a promising step towards the future use of the SILC
client.

Cheers,

Justin