followup: signing with a v3 rsa key in 1.1.9.2

vedaal@lok.com vedaal@lok.com
Fri Sep 13 23:22:02 2002

> Message: 11 From: vedaal@compute3.lok.com To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
> Subject: signing with a v3 rsa key in 1.1.9.2 Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002
> 12:46:59 -0400
>
> have tried to sign with my default v3 rsa key, using the windows
>binary for 1.1.9.2
>
> the key is listed as my default key in the gnupg options, and the
> keyrings have not been changed since using 1.1.9.2
>
> the key has worked well for signing for all other versions of gnupg,
> but now, gives the following error messages:
>
>  C:\gnupg>gpg --clearsign d:\a1.txt gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT
> VERSION! gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should
> NOT be gpg: used in a production environment or with production
> keys! gpg: protection algorithm 1 (IDEA) is not supported
> gpg: the IDEA cipher plugin is not present gpg: please see
> http://www.gnupg.org/why-not-idea.html for more information gpg:
> no default secret key: unknown cipher algorithm gpg: d:\a1.txt:
> clearsign failed: unknown cipher algorithm
>
> there is no problem when i try to sign with any other v3 rsa key
>
> my default v3 rsa key was generated in 2.6.x the other v3 rsa keys
> (that work ok) were generated in pgp 6.5.8

found the reason:

rsa v3 keys generated in 6.5.8 have the symmetric algo as 'cast-5' by default,
while in 2.6.x it is 'idea'

what is unusual, is that if the key is checked in 'key properties' in pgp keys,
the symmetric algo is listed as 'idea' for 'any' v3 rsa key, no matter how it was generated,

the actual algo used will be listed in pgpdump,

so, the 2.6.x keys need the 'idea' module installed,
while v3 rsa keys generated in later versions,
{or in 2.6.x Multi with the option specified as a non-'idea' algorithm},
do not

vedaal