Agent implementation

Florian Weimer Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Thu Sep 26 15:36:01 2002

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> writes:

>> My problem is that I plan to run GnuPG from within Emacs, and usually,
>> there's either no terminal at all, or a very dumb one (which is in no
>
> You can use athe ansi-term; I know folks running Mutt in it ;-)

It's still almost impossible to create a terminal window when a GnuPG
process created by 'call-process' needs a passphrase.

>> Again, for my needs, a gpg-agent option would be the best choice.
>
> There is now a --keep-tty and a --keep-display in the CVS.

Doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.  GnuPG indicates that there was a
gpg-agent failure and falls back to normal mode, and gpg-agent prints
the following error message:

gpg-agent[4854]: command get_passphrase failed: assuan error

In addition, I'd like to use --keep-tty without --daemon; this should
make gpg-agent (or curses pinentry) much more robust. Otherwise
strange things may happen (two applications access the PTY at the same
time, reading).

BTW, gpg-agent is totally hosed with symmetric encryption (GnuPG
crashes because there's no key ID).  And unfortunately, symmetric
encryption is the prime GnuPG application for me these days.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/