GPGrelay "hangs" when fetching mail

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 22:21:03 2003

--Boundary-02=_RQyl+9cqP1OYsDn

On Friday 11 April 2003 1:45 pm, Per Tunedal wrote:
> Hi,
> GPGrelay "hangs" occasionally when fetching mail. It might have something
> to do with the option --outo-key-retreive ? What about a time-out for the
> keysearching? Is this a GPGrelay or a GPG issue?

Keyserver issue. I had enormous problems with this until I changed GnuPG to
use broken-http-proxy emulation. Now KMail does delay while retrieving new
keys but if a key is not found, it doesn't wait overly long - the keyserver
comes back with an error code the gnupg can understand and it simply tells
KMail to continue without verifying the sig. I get a yellow alert that the
public key cannot be found and the message cannot be verified.

I often email the person concerned off-list to ask where they have a copy of
their public key so that I can import it. The next time I view the message,
it verifies as expected.

Most keyservers I've used already have a timeout suitable for
auto-key-retrieve and if you are getting v.v.long delays, like me,
investigate your firewall and your HKP connection. Depending if you are still
using an old gnupg it would be keyserver x-broken-hkp://keyserver.linux.it
in ~/.gnupg/options or with a newer installation that will raise a warning to
change to:
keyserver-options broken-http-proxy
in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf

--