GPG

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 22:23:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_URyl+MPOSSE4MAX

On Friday 11 April 2003 7:19 pm, Denis McCauley wrote:
>  > Eddie Roosenmaallen  wrote
>  > Another alternative for an easy-to-use mail frontend is Mozilla with
>  > Enigmail. It's pretty painless to set up, and it does signing,
>  > encrypting,
>  > key pair generation, etc. right from the menus in Moz mail.
>
> Very easy to use but I see a problem with encrypting or signing mails
> with Enigmail because this is done on sending, which means private
> keys  (and passphrase if cached) might be exposed when you go online.
> An option to encrypt/sign and queue would solve this problem though.

But Mozilla can do that, like most email clients you can send now or send
later. It's a simple configuration option.
# To send messages in your Unsent Messages folder before going offline, check
"Send Unsent Messages".

The act of signing is done when the message is finalised ready for sending
later - queued. This can therefore be done offline, leaving only the signed
email in the outbox waiting for the connection and command to send.

Besides, even without a queue, aren't you going to be using a firewall to
protect your machine? Where is the perceived threat - from the internet or
from the intranet or even from users on the same system?

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/