GPG

Denis McCauley DenisMcCauley@ifrance.com
Sat Apr 12 02:53:02 2003

Neil Williams wrote:

 >On Friday 11 April 2003 7:19 pm, Denis McCauley wrote:
 >
 >> > Eddie Roosenmaallen  wrote
 >> > Another alternative for an easy-to-use mail frontend is Mozilla
with
 >> > Enigmail. It's pretty painless to set up, and it does signing,
 >> > encrypting,
 >> > key pair generation, etc. right from the menus in Moz mail.
 >>
 >>Very easy to use but I see a problem with encrypting or signing
mails
 >>with Enigmail because this is done on sending, which means private
 >>keys  (and passphrase if cached) might be exposed when you go
online.
 >>An option to encrypt/sign and queue would solve this problem though.
 >

 >But Mozilla can do that, like most email clients you can send now or
send
 >later. It's a simple configuration option.
 ># To send messages in your Unsent Messages folder before going
offline, check
 >"Send Unsent Messages".

Sure, but ....

 >The act of signing is done when the message is finalised ready for
sending
 >later - queued. This can therefore be done offline, leaving only the
signed
 >email in the outbox waiting for the connection and command to send.

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but I can't find an option to queue encrypted
or signed messages on my version (Enigmail 0.71 on Mozilla 1.2.1 on
w2k), though it can be done for unencrypted/unsigned messages. I have
to encrypt or sign with gpg outside the mailer, copy to the composer
and then queue the message.

 >Besides, even without a queue, aren't you going to be using a
firewall to
 >protect your machine? Where is the perceived threat - from the
internet or
 >from the intranet or even from users on the same system?

I keep in mind a comment by Bruce Schneier: "Some firewalls are
reasonably effective", and I've seen examples of sites reading my file
structure through IE (not with Mozilla, but I'm careful all the same).
Once the firewall is opened for the browser there's a potential
problem.

Cheers,

DM