entropy

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Wed Apr 16 14:10:02 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:21:29 -0700, Jacob Solomon said:

> minute, all is working well. However, when I fire up three scripts to
> encrypt files, after a while I get the following error:

> gpg: note: random_seed file is empty

Which is not a real problem but a performance issue.  The thing is
that we update the random_seed file simply by writing out the current
pool.  Of course this is a race condition and a gpg process, trying to
read the random_seen file might find it empty and requests more bytes
from /dev/random.

I'll see whether I can change this to an atomic update, so ayou will
always get an intact random_seed file.

A workaround is to use different home directories.

--
  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of