problems to sign emails

Ingo Klöcker ingo.kloecker@epost.de
Fri Apr 25 21:03:23 2003

--Boundary-02=_6VYq+IiADKOzh7o

On Friday 25 April 2003 15:02, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder=20
wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2003 12:52, Dirk Fettke wrote:
> > > Which kmail version? How are you trying to send mail - with the
> > > builtin gpg
> > > support of kmail or with the PGP/MIME plugin (Hint: there is a
> > > 'crypto plugins' tab in the security settings dialog. Do you have
> > > anything there?).
> > >
> > > If the latter, it's probably a problem with the gpg-agent not
> > > working.
> >
> > my kmal version is 1.5.1.
> > i trying to send emails with the builtin gpg of kmail. in the
> > security settings at the crypto plugin i haven't anything there.
>
> Ok. I have to say that I don't have any experience with the builtin
> facility, as I use the plugin myself (but it is somewhat
> experimental, so I'd have been surprised if SuSE shipped it. But one
> never knows...)

SuSE 8.2 includes everything that's necessary for the crypto plugins.=20
It's just not installed by default. Search the SuSE support database=20
for "kmail".

> >  the couriosity is
> > that all works without an gpg password. as soon as i given a
> > password it don't works. i become to desperate... :-(
>
> Have a look at your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf (or 'options', in the same
> directory) file. Is there any 'use-agent' directive? (There
> shouldn't, just checking).
>
> If you create a new user with all the default settings, does it fail
> there, too? Perhaps it's just one of your config files borken.
>
> But I'm in the dark, really, perhaps you should ask in a KDE or SuSE
> mailing list/support forum? When you can sign ordinary files with
> gpg, I guess the problem is not with gpg but with kmail.

Actually it's IMO a bug in gpg because KMail calls gpg with the=20
=2D-passphrase-fd option. This obviously means that kmail (or any other=20
application that calls gpg with this option) wants to tell the=20
passphrase to gpg. But gpg insists on using the gpg-agent if the=20
use-agent option is set. Of course this fails if gpg-agent isn't=20
running because falling back to the command line is impossible in batch=20
mode.
KMail 1.5.2 will tell gpg explicitely via the undocumented (I had to=20
look into the source code) --no-use-agent option to not use the=20
gpg-agent.

Regards,
Ingo