digest-algo problem with 1.2.3rc2

Denis McCauley DenisMcCauley@ifrance.com
Tue Aug 5 20:01:02 2003

David Shaw a écrit :
| On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:58:09PM -1000, Denis McCauley wrote:
|

|>Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The problem was essentially with
|>--list-keys and --list-secret-keys at the command line gave me the error
|>message mentioned above, even after I commented out the offending
|>"s2k-cipher-algo" option.
|>
|>I didn't try --edit-key at that stage. Instead, I changed the private
|>keyring for an empty one, my public keys then all listed OK, so I
|>reinstated by private keyring. Then I did --edit-key and changed the
|>passwords in GPGshell. Somewhat tortuous, but I got there in the end.
|>
|>But my point really was that the "read" capability for SHA256 seems to
|>have a hole in it, so to speak.
|

| Can you try to duplicate the problem and post the steps you followed?
| GnuPG works fine with a s2k digest of sha256.  The error message you
| got also doesn't follow from the scenario you describe - if a s2k
| digest was used that GnuPG can't handle, the error message is
| "md_enable: algorithm %d not available".
|
| I'm wondering if you didn't really comment out the s2k-digest-algo
| line, which would give you the exact problem you described.

OK. Using another key which is still encrypted with the SHA256 hash, and
switching to English so I don't have to translate the gpg output, I
reproduced the old configuration file with the line "s2k-digest-algo
SHA256" included.

Both --list-keys and edit-key gave me the following:
gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
gpg; It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
gpg: digest alhorithm 'SHA256' is read-only in this release
gpg: selected digest algorithm is invalid

Next, I commented out the s2k-digest-algo option, and I got the same
response.

Then I tried it all again but this time I DELETED the s2k-digest-algo
option, and I got exactly the same results.

Cheers,

Denis
- --
~ Denis McCauley