making it easy to find keys

Stewart V. Wright svwright+lists at amtp.liv.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 10:56:09 CET 2003

G'day Atom,   (???)

* Atom 'Smasher' <atom-gpg at suspicious.org> [031204 01:08]:
> in the absence of standards (that i'm aware of) i'm wondering if there's
> any consensus, or at least any good reasons for or against, presenting the
> public key information in particular formats....

My only gripe is people who format their key so that the HTML looks
good in a browser, but so you can't download the src of the page and
import that.  With style sheets, XML and the like you should be able
to have your key in an importable format whilst still having a
pleasant looking page.

> as non-standard as that is, there seems to be even less consistency among
> people who reference their keys in their SMTP headers (like i've done).
> after the "X-", i don't know if i've seen any two people use the same
> format...
>
> i know, there's no "right way" or "wrong way" to present this information
> to the world, and any variation on this theme (within reason) should work
> fine, but i'm sure there are some good reasons out there for doing or not
> doing things in a particular way. lacking a standard, i'd at least like to
> hear some of those good reasons people have....

Well, I follow Werner's suggestion: