RSA key size restriction?

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Thu Dec 11 14:13:35 CET 2003

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2003 08:54 schrieb Adrian von Bidder:
> (Yes, this goes a bit OT)
>
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 21:52, Malte Gell wrote:
> > But think of a 30 year
> > old human rights activist in a dictatorship, [...]

> The 30 year old activist will find himself shot as soon as govt sees
> that he uses encrypted communication at all. As an inquisitor,
> finding a suspicious message I can't read, I will automatically take
> this as proof that the suspect commits high treason. Remember, we're
> talking about a dictatorship here, so the fact that there's no
> 'proof' (by our standards) does not matter at all.

Actually, first I didn't want to join this kind of discussion, because I
think similar about this like you and David Shaw.

I just wanted to find an example that may show that there's information
that may keep its value at the same level of a very long time and such
information may require such protection, though an 8k key looks pretty
much ridiculous from todays point of view. A nice lesson again that key
size is not necessarily the weakest point.

Malte