Change comments?

Mads Laursen gnupg at dossen.dk
Mon Dec 15 19:45:33 CET 2003

On 15/12/03 19.20, Malte Gell wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. Dezember 2003 15:40 schrieb David Shaw:
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 09:32:30AM -0500, Stephan Debelle wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently created a key but would like to change the data I
> > > included in the comments, I believe we can use the "updpref"
> > > command to change the preferences, any idea how to change the
> > > comment field?
> >
> > The comments are part of the user ID string, and are not changeable.
>
> Would it be a bad idea to change this? For instance I have a key solely
> to use with ICQ and its comment string contains the ICQ UIN. Should the
> UIN ever change I had to add a new dummy uid to create a new comment
> string with the new UIN. IF the comment string could be edited this
> wouldn't be necessary. What do you think about making the comment
> string more flexible? Of course any change would be protected by the
> passphrase.

Well, first of all, the point of the UID is that other people sign it.
They can only sign stuff that does not change (or rather changing it
makes the signature invalid), and second if I read RFC 2440/5.11
correctly there is no comment field, only a variable length string
(that GPG constructs from three standard components).

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
                -- Albert Einstein