outdated documentation

Dennis Lambe Jr. malsyned at cif.rochester.edu
Tue Dec 30 09:57:42 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 15:37, Richard Cattien wrote:
> My main problem seems to be, that I don't really know what the UID or
> Key-ID is and how to find it out. Am I blind, or do I misunderstand
> something important?

malsyned at localhost malsyned $ gpg --list-key lambe
pub  4096R/F53BA904 2003-04-21 Dennis Patrick Lambe Jr.
           ^ Key-ID            ^ User-ID ("UID" for short)

When you want to refer to a key on the command line, you must do it via
its key-id or any unique substring of its UID.  So if i wanted to, for
example, generate a revocation certificate for my key, any of these
command lines would get the job done:

gpg -o revoke.asc --gen-revoke F53BA904
gpg -o revoke.asc --gen-revoke "Dennis Patrick Lambe Jr."
gpg -o revoke.asc --gen-revoke lambe
     (assuming no one else's UID contains the substring "lambe")

Note that you can refer to a key via the Key-ID of its primary (signing)
key, or any of its (encrypting or signing) subkeys, and by any part of
any UID attached to it.

Good luck,
--D