why must gnupg user-id "real names" be at least 5 characters long?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Mon Feb 10 08:55:02 2003

--=-liJ4gNXbe0jBpp3Ga3m7

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 03:08, David Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 12:19:08AM +0000, tav wrote:

> > also, this leads onto the question of what the user-id is used for?
> > could someone give me a brief summary please? (apologies for not readin=
> > the openpgp spec to find out. the 70 odd pages is a bit much for me.)
>=20
> It is used to identify the owner of the key.  When someone signs your
> key, they are actually signing the user ID plus the key data.

... and there may be some gpg users who would refuse signing userids not
containing a full real name. (Yes, I occasionally sign userids
containing only the email address, but I generally don't like userids
containing only a pseudonym or a short name.)

cheers
-- vbi

--=20
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/smtp