can't change the primary uid on a RSA key

Maxine Brandt ninjaforce@netcourrier.com
Wed Feb 26 05:02:02 2003

  Clemens Buchmann <caligo@elizium.de> wrote on
  Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:50:39 +0100

 > I'm mailing this again, cuz none of my previous mails were
replied so I
 > think they might got lost or whatever nasty things can happen
to a mail.
 > Would be fine if someone will take notice of this report. TIA
 >
 > I have a RSA key which is made with pgp-6.5.8, because
gnupg-1.2.1
 > generates singing only RSA keys. So I imported that key into
my gpg
 > here, added a uid and now I can't change the primary uid. The
second uid
 > I added was automatically set as primary uid. I tried to
change the
 > primary uid as described with:
 >

 > pub  2048R/89BC559F  created: 2003-02-16 expires: never
trust: u/u
 > (1)  Clemens Buchmann <caligo@elizium.de>
 > (2). Clemens Buchmann <caligo@deadheaven.de>
 >
 > Command> uid 1
 >
 > pub  2048R/89BC559F  created: 2003-02-16 expires: never
trust: u/u
 > (1)* Clemens Buchmann <caligo@elizium.de>
 > (2). Clemens Buchmann <caligo@deadheaven.de>
 >
 > Command> primary
 > gpg: skipping v3 self-signature on user id "Clemens Buchmann
 > <caligo@elizium.de>"
 > gpg: skipping v3 self-signature on user id "Clemens Buchmann
 > <caligo@deadheaven.de>"
 >
 > Command> uid 0
 >
 > pub  2048R/89BC559F  created: 2003-02-16 expires: never
trust: u/u
 > (1)  Clemens Buchmann <caligo@elizium.de>
 > (2). Clemens Buchmann <caligo@deadheaven.de>
 >
 > Command>
 >

 > As you can see the primary uid is not changed to uid 1 as I
'commanded'.
 > I tried that with a DSA key and it worked as it should, but
not with
 > this RSA key. I couldn't find anything on that topic so far so
it might
 > be a bug. - Maybe you can help me out here. Mayn thanks in
advance!

 > Bye
 >
 >  Clemens

The problem is that additional identities added to an RSA key by
PGP 6.5.8 are always v3 and not v4. You can't edit the v3
signatures in
GnuPG (assign primary status, preferences, etc).

But GnuPg creates v4 RSA keys. You have to do it in two stages,
a signing key first, theb "addkey" will give you some choices
which include "RSA encryption only".

This will then give you a key pair you can edit.

Peace

Maxine Brandt