Using IDEA

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Thu Jan 16 08:04:02 2003

--=-zMPTrZelLqpUhYd+ZPht

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 19:14, Owen.Singleton@ubsw.com wrote:
> We are trying to use the IDEA algorithm to decrypt a number of files sent=
 to use.  We have obtained idea.c and compiled it, placed it in $HOME/lib a=
nd added the 'load-extension idea' line to the options file.  gpg is not ab=
le to find/load the extension though.  Could someone please give us a point=
er or to?  I am sure the answer is very simple but we haven't been able to =
work it out.
>=20
> We are using gpg 1.2.1 on Solaris 8 Unix.

The idea.c commonly found does only work up to gpg 1.0.7.

If you've got only a few files, easiest thing is probably to just
compile 1.0.7 to decrypt these files. If you can't make the sender send
further files in non-idea ciphers, you need an updated idea.c (and iirc,
since the loadable module concept was dropped, you have to build gpg
yourself with the new idea.c in the source dir. No, I don't know where
to get that new idea.c file).

[ad snipped]
>=20
> This message contains confidential information  [...]
I doubt it.

> E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free=20
> as information could be intercepted, corrupted,[...]
Then use signatures and encryption.

cheers
-- vbi

--=20