gpg without commands

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Thu Jul 3 00:43:02 2003

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On 02-Jul-2003, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 Jul 2003 2:36 pm, David Shaw wrote:
> > Running just "gpg" is the same as running "gpg filename.gpg".
> > Without the filename, it just waits for you to paste filename.gpg
> > into its window :)

More accurately, it acts as a filter, and processes anything on 'stdin'
until end-of-file.

> note the word type - I kept trying to find a key sequence that would
> cause gpg to process the contents so far, empty lines, single . lines,
> q, x, quit, exit, etc. Only Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Z interrupt it and then,
> predictably, by stopping it.

Assumed knowledge: filters process 'stdin' (defaulting to input from the
keyboard) and put the processed output to 'stdout' (defaulting to the
screen).

Further assumed knowledge: Ctrl-D is the normal EOF (end-of-file)
control.

Should this be explained verbosely at the interactive prompt?  No.  The
command-line prompts should be kept brief, leveraging existing
knowledge.

Interfaces with less assumed knowledge already exist, and should be
enhanced, rather than breaking the terseness of the command-line tool.

--=20
 \           "An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind."  -- |
  `\                                                    Mahatma Gandhi |
bignose@zip.com.au  F'print 9CFE12B0 791A4267 887F520C B7AC2E51 BD41714B

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV--