Email Clients and digital signatures

CL Gilbert Lamont_Gilbert@RigidSoftware.com
Fri Jul 4 20:29:04 2003

Emory wrote:
| Disclaimer: I just woke up and I'm cranky.
|

|>| Especially when as far as the user is concerned, THERE IS NO PROBLEM
|>| WITH THE TECHNOLOGY THEY KNOW HOW TO USE AND HAVE DEPLOYED.
|>
|>Sorry, that is crap.  Education will not win anything because you will
|>*never* educate the people fast enough.  To some a computer is a tool
|>and they do not *want* to be educated.  How many Linux users also can
|>fix their own cars?  How many even have a service manual?
|

| I'm not sure your analogy is valid in this case.  In fact, it may be
more applicable to my stance.  It seems to me that you're saying you can
throw GNU/Linux at a person and make them "security savvy" and
"competant" when this is obviously a fallacy.

| If there is nothing wrong with my car, why do I need the manual?  If
there is nothing wrong with Windows, and it works for me (it does not,
but this is beside the point -) why do I need a new "car"?  Why do I
need a new manual?

| My issue here is that if someone WANTS to change they will TEACH
themselves or be TAUGHT by others by asking questions they do not know
the answer to.  If the computer is a tool, by all means, let it be one.
  Don't make it into a "lifestyle" that someone partakes in.

| Simply repeating "Use Linux because 'M$' sucks" is tired, annoying,
and doesn't help anyone.  Is this not a support medium?  Someone wants
to use GNUpg to encrypt their email, they use Windows and Outlook and a
bunch of jack-booted GNU-thugs kick in their door like an OpenSource
gestapo and almost MOCK them for using Outlook!  "Please for the sake of
all people on the Internet do not use Outlook!"

| Also: Don't you mean for the sake of all Windows users that run
Outlook?  (Why do you care about them anyway?)  - I can't attribute this
quote right now - I believe it was the original person I replied to.

I tend to agree with your overall stance, but I disagree that education
can solve anything.  Every effort should be made to get the system to be
'idiot proof.'  People just do not want to know.  I am not suggesting
that Throwing Linux at them will make them security savvy.  The true
answer is simply for MS to be faster at fixing their issues and more
proactive.  Not using outlook would be a temporary solution.

When you said education was the answer thats why I mentioned the car
analogy.  Nobody wants to know anything special about their car except
the gas, the brake, and the steerign wheel.  same with email.  people do
not want details, they just want to push send/recv and see their nice
pretty emails.

You didnt hear *me* say use Linux because Windows sucks.  Thats not my
position.

|>The attitude seems to be 'you dont need any features' read your mail as
|>close to plain text as possible.  Thus, use another client.  End users
|>dont accept that.  Note: I am using mozilla on Linux, my wife sits a
|>mere 10 feet away using outlook express.  I personally do not want to be
|>the one to ask her to change ;)
|

| It took me almost a year to get my girlfriend convinced that maybe
Hotmail wasn't so hot after all.  She likes Mail.app though.

| r. emory lundberg (finger emory AT hellyeah DOT com for PGP, email, etc)
| homepage: http://canikickit.org/ AND http://incumbent.org/

- --
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Free Java interface to Freechess.org
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
GNU Privacy Guard http://www.gnupg.org
Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html, windows
users should try that.