Signing & the "-" character

Abhay S. Kushwaha kushwaha@netsolutionsindia.com
Sat Jul 5 13:35:04 2003

--=.G85FY6ZFRVbzHG

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:27:52 +0200, Samuel ]slund wrote:

> > Whenever I sign an email message, any sentence starting with the
> > dash character "-" gets an additional "- " prepended. So a

<<<< Snip >>>>

> > 1. Why does this happen?

<<<< Snip >>>>

> Clearsigned messages uses dashes to indicate start and end of the
> signed message and the signature. This is defined in OpenPGP.
> The man-page for GnuPG ("gpg.man" in your GnuPG installation
> directory) includes a reference to <http://www.gnupg.org/docs.html>
> . Your question is FAQ 6.8.
>
> Man pages are the place where documentation is normaly found on
> unix-like systems.

<<<< Snip >>>>

Thanks for the pointers...now I know. I had looked into the gnupg
folder in my Win32 distro and saw no easily identifiable
icons/extensions in there. It was only after Samuel pointed it out
that I 'noticed' the existence of the .man files in there.

Perhaps it would be wise to rename the .man files to .txt or .man.txt
so that at least they have a better chance of taking a look at what
these files are when they're searching for some help.

[abhay]

--=.G85FY6ZFRVbzHG

--=.G85FY6ZFRVbzHG--