Fwd: Re: What is 'invalidRecipient' error ? reason 0 ?

Michael Weiss michael@silicontao.com
Sun Jul 6 17:28:01 2003

Sorry, I should have sent this to the list...

Subject: Re: What is 'invalidRecipient' error ? reason 0 ?
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 09:25:43 -0400
From: Michael Weiss <michael@silicontao.com>
To: Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk>

On Sunday 06 July 2003 04:18 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 06 Jul 2003 5:15 am, Michael Weiss wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I keep getting the following extended error info when I try to encrypt
> > with a key I've just imported:
> >
> > <error>
> >    </invalidRecipient
> >    <reason>0
> >    </reason>
> > </error>
> >
> > I am writing an automated data exchange program via email using gnupg and
> > gpgme.
>
> What is the full command line that you are issuing to gpg?

I am not using any command lines to gpg at all,
I am using gpgme with my own C++ code

> I've used:
> gpg -a --batch --always-trust $homedir -r $keyid --encrypt $outputfile
> (make sure $homedir and $keyid are preset and valid and that the value of
> $keyid is the 8 character keyid, not a name nor an email address. Also make
> sure that the key has been imported into the public keyring on that machine
> in advance.)
> (Only for situations where some other form of trusted authorisation is
> already in use because of the --always-trust option.)
>
> > For now I am testing with only one client and a server.
> > When I reverse the two machines, the error goes away.
> >
> > I completely removed and reinstalled gnupg and gpgme, but the error
> > persists on one machine only.
> > My system setup:
> > Mandrake 8.2
> > gnupg 1.2.2
> > gpgme 0.3.15
>
> Did you copy across the .gnupg/gpg.conf , secring.gpg and trustdb.gpg?

No, but I probably should have erased them too when I did a (what I thought
was complete) removal and reinstall.

I can't copy them across because the machines are supposed to
generate and exhange keys automatically.  They cant have the same keys.

> Did you use gpg --update-trustdb on the machine receiving the copied files?
>
> > The machine that fails used to work before I installed gpgme 0.4.0 to try
> > it out, before reverting back to gpgme 0.3.15
>
> Rollbacks can cause trouble if 0.4.0 updated the configuration files for
> it's new functions and those changes were not rolled back with the rest of
> the package. What was the problem with gpgme 0.4.0? It's likely that any
> problems can be fixed by others on this list.

I think it wouldn't compile due to some changes or something, sorry I don't
remember any better...

I mostly went back because I thought 0.3.15 was more 'stable', am I right?

Thanks for all the input...

Michael Weiss