What is 'invalidRecipient' error ? reason 0 ?

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 10:17:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_et9B/olYNwJCy/M

On Sunday 06 Jul 2003 5:15 am, Michael Weiss wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I keep getting the following extended error info when I try to encrypt wi=
th
> a key I've just imported:
>
> <error>
>    </invalidRecipient
>    <reason>0
>    </reason>
> </error>
>
> I am writing an automated data exchange program via email using gnupg and
> gpgme.

What is the full command line that you are issuing to gpg?
I've used:
gpg -a --batch --always-trust $homedir -r $keyid --encrypt $outputfile
(make sure $homedir and $keyid are preset and valid and that the value of=20
$keyid is the 8 character keyid, not a name nor an email address. Also make=
=20
sure that the key has been imported into the public keyring on that machine=
=20
in advance.)
(Only for situations where some other form of trusted authorisation is alre=
ady=20
in use because of the --always-trust option.)

> For now I am testing with only one client and a server.
> When I reverse the two machines, the error goes away.
>
> I completely removed and reinstalled gnupg and gpgme, but the error
> persists on one machine only.
> My system setup:
> Mandrake 8.2
> gnupg 1.2.2
> gpgme 0.3.15

Did you copy across the .gnupg/gpg.conf , secring.gpg and trustdb.gpg?

Did you use gpg --update-trustdb on the machine receiving the copied files?

> The machine that fails used to work before I installed gpgme 0.4.0 to try
> it out, before reverting back to gpgme 0.3.15

Rollbacks can cause trouble if 0.4.0 updated the configuration files for it=
's=20
new functions and those changes were not rolled back with the rest of the=20
package. What was the problem with gpgme 0.4.0? It's likely that any proble=
ms=20
can be fixed by others on this list.

=2D-=20

Neil Williams