Diminished Disk Space after running file encryption

Neil Williams linux@codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 18:00:20 2003

--Boundary-02=_TMxG/arIGAjBgMa

On Sunday 20 Jul 2003 10:29 pm, Mads Laursen wrote:
> On 20/07/03 21.50, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's something like this affecting KMail:

Note: something like this - i.e. an EXAMPLE not a solution.

> Just to provide an additional datapoint (don't know if it helps, but
> here goes): I recently had to encrypt a large file (>1GB), on a system
> with 256MB ram + 1GB swap, and that worked flawless (while running
> several other things in X) except for taking quite some time, so if
> there is a serious memory consumption problem it is likely to be in
> KMail.

Sorry, you misread my post, the problem with the 370Mb zip file is nothing =
to=20
do with KMail - I was using that as an example (i.e. something like this) o=
f=20
what can happen in any C program.

The file encryption isn't being performed via KMail, the original enquiry w=
as=20
about file encryption on Windows! (using GnuPG on the C:\ drive reading the=
=20
370Mb zip file from USB and (theoretically) writing the encrypted file to C=
:=20
which had only ~600Mb free in the first place.

You have reinforced one thing though, this sounds like a Windows related=20
problem as this would explain why GnuPG has not been reported as having=20
problems with large files on the Linux platform.=20

=2D-=20

Neil Williams
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.codehelp.co.uk