Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Thu Jun 5 16:51:02 2003

There are two ways to do this.  Both work for Windows or Unix.  But since
I'm on Unix I'll show the Unix flavor and point out what I've heard about
doing it on Windows.

1.  First, the easiest way.  Remove the pass phrase.  Well, since the pass
phrase is going to be on the box anyway and somebody is likely to see it
(especially when rooting around in the file system) why not make it easier
on yourself.  No pass phrase is the #1 recommend solution for those who need
some sort of automated interface.

2.  Then, for folks like me <<grin>>, who must have to have that false sense
of at least trying to raise a roadblock, do some simple code encryption that
a mildly interested hacker could decode in two heartbeats but would stop the
casual observer.  (1's compliment, zip compression, hex dump, etc, or some
combo of two or more) then feed it via the following mechanism:

   my_decrypt < my_pass_file | gpg --homedir $homedir --passphrase-fd 0 \
        --output "$3" --decrypt "$2"

Now, I've heard piping in the above manner doesn't work on Windows and that
the passphrase-fd isn't a number but some DOS type file handle.  But, if you
were doing this on Unix (or Linux) that's the command line you'd use.
Perhaps the Windows experts can clue you in on how the FD is formatted and
handled in the Windows world.

--Steve Butler
Oracle Administrator
First Choice Health Network