Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

Steve Butler sbutler@fchn.com
Fri Jun 6 03:52:03 2003

Ah, because it's now checking the right things in the right order.

It's the "recipient" to whom you are sending the encrypted file that needs
to be "trusted".  In the first version you are sending to yourself
(actually, sending to somebody for whom you also have the secret key).  So
you trust (the secret key trusts) the recipient.

I suspect that the "encrypt-to" logic doesn't do the web of trust check.

Did you sign (or local sign) the recipient's public key?  I don't do it at
work either since the only keys that get loaded are ones that are "trusted".
Therefore I set the trust always flag.

You may be interested the some of the following options to gpg:  batch,
no-tty, always-yes

-----Original Message-----
From: Ping Kam [mailto:pkam@quikcard.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 5:04 PM
To: gnupg-users@gnupg.org
Subject: Re: Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the
command

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Butler" <sbutler@fchn.com>
To: "'Ping Kam'" <pkam@quikcard.com>; <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

> I'd change this from:
>
> echo %1|gpg  --encrypt --output %2.asc --armour --recipient
> our_own_userid --encrypt-to the_recipient_userid --passphrase-fd 0 %2
>

> To this <<all on one line>>:
>
> echo %1 | gpg --passphrase-fd 0 --armour --recipient %3 --encrypt-to
> <<our_own_userid>> --sign --output %2.asc --encrypt %2
>

> Then invoke it:
>
> my_gpg "my passphrase" my_file to_whom_it_concerns

I change the cmd file following your suggestion and it stops working.

Before the change, I got the following message but it creates the file.:
Reading passphrase from file descriptor 0

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: ...........

After the change:
Reading passphrase from file descriptor 0

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: ..........

Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we
can assign some missing owner trust values.

No path leading to one of our keys found.

// The key id and figerprint

It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
If you *really* know what you are doing, you may answer
the next question with yes

Use this key anyway?

What is the difference and why one works and the other does not?

Thanks,
Ping Kam