Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

Ping Kam pkam@quikcard.com
Fri Jun 6 19:22:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Butler" <sbutler@fchn.com>
To: "'Ping Kam'" <pkam@quikcard.com>; <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 7:52 PM
Subject: RE: Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

> Ah, because it's now checking the right things in the right order.
>
> It's the "recipient" to whom you are sending the encrypted file that needs
> to be "trusted".  In the first version you are sending to yourself
> (actually, sending to somebody for whom you also have the secret key).  So
> you trust (the secret key trusts) the recipient.

This is confusing.  I want to encrypt the file for the recipient so I
encrypt-to the recipient.  I want to ensure that I can also decrypt the file
so I add myself to the list of recipients.  Why would I want to encrypt the
file to myself?

> I suspect that the "encrypt-to" logic doesn't do the web of trust check.

Don't know anything about this feature.  But since I am not using it now, I
don't really care.

> Did you sign (or local sign) the recipient's public key?  I don't do it at
> work either since the only keys that get loaded are ones that are
"trusted".
> Therefore I set the trust always flag.

I have tried to trust a key using the trusted-key option but I don't know
what to enter for the keyid.  I tried the 8 digit hex number from
the --list-key, the 5 digit number before it, and the two together with the
slash.  I always get the error 'xxxx is not a valid long keyID'.  And I
couldn't find any documentation or help on how to do this.  Can you tell me
how to do this, or direct me to some links that will?

> You may be interested the some of the following options to gpg:  batch,
> no-tty, always-yes

I have tried them all, none of them works for me.  I get the prompt anyway.

Thanks,
Ping Kam