Virtual Keysignings

David Shaw dshaw@jabberwocky.com
Fri Jun 6 15:22:02 2003

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:20:42AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bid=
der wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2003 22:52, Adam ENDRODI wrote:
>=20
> > I mean the following.  An ID card provides a binding between you
> > and your name.  But what about the e-mail address, which is
> > included in my uid as well?  The ID card doesn't tell anything
> > about it.
>=20
> I usually send the key in an encrypted email to the email address in the=
=20
> userid, I think this takes care of this problem. The poeple who have enou=
gh=20
> criminal energy to attack this could with very high probability also fool=
 me=20
> with a fake ID card. Do you know what a Swiss ID card exactly looks like?=
 At=20
> least I don't know how a Hungarian ID card is supposed to look like...

Note that you don't really need to send an encrypted mail.  Sending a
challenge to be signed by the user "proves" they control the secret
key.

I usually send the challenges encrypted as well, but that is just for
a little privacy.  If the user has a sign-only key, obviously I can't
do this.

David

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--