Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

Ping Kam pkam@quikcard.com
Fri Jun 6 22:27:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Butler" <sbutler@fchn.com>
To: "'Ping Kam'" <pkam@quikcard.com>; <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: Newbie question - how to include the pass phrase in the command

> --recipient
>   This is the key ID of the person to whom the file will be sent.  Don't
use
> the '--encrypt-to' option for this.  --recipient <<key_id>> is enough to
> ensure the file is encrypted so the other person can decrypt it.
>
> --encrypt-to <<quoting the man page>>
>                  Same as --recipient but this one is intended for
>                  use in the options file and  may  be  used  with
>                  your own user-id as an "encrypt-to-self".  These
>                  keys are only used when there are other  recipi-
>                  ents  given  either  by use of --recipient or by
>                  the asked user id.  No trust  checking  is  per-
>                  formed for these user ids and even disabled keys
>                  can be used.
>
> You encrypt the file to yourself so you can decrypt it later (if the need
> see exactly what was sent).  You are using the options in opposite order
> their intended usage.

The problem is if I do not encrypt-to my recipient, then GPG will prompt for
the passphrase.  If I encrypt-to my recipient and add my key as recipient,
then it encrypts the file.  I haven't tested with our recipient if he can
decrypt the file.

I have yet to find out the correct syntax for the command file so it will
encrypt the file without prompting for the passphrase.  So far I am out of
luck.

I have also try to trust the keys but I am getting the 'Invalid long keyID'
error.  Any idea how to do this?  Where can I find the long KeyID?

> You really should read up on the web of trust.

Not until I get this working.

Thanks,
Ping Kam