How to extend the expiry date of a subkey?

CL Gilbert Lamont_Gilbert@RigidSoftware.com
Mon Jun 16 16:36:01 2003

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
| I've recently extended the expiration date of my public key for a
year, but
| just noticed I forgot to extend the subkey as well. For no particular
reason
| I wanted to extend the expiry date of the subkey instead of creating a
new
| one, so I tried gpg --edit-keys <subkeyid>, 'expire' and set it to one
year
| from now - but the expiration date stays the same and now nobody can
encrypt
| with my key...
|
| Am I doing something wrong, isn't this supposed to work, or is it a bug?

Not sure, maybe someone else can help with answering that.  But the
method of extension of sub keys is simply to add another self-signature
to them, with what I assume is an expiration date on the signature.  I
don't think the key itself expires, but the self signature on it does.
This would explain why if your top key expires, all the sub keys expire
as well.  Try to re-sign the sub key.

And please someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Carl

| --- snip --- version information ---
|
| gpg (GnuPG) 1.2.2
| Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
| under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.
|
| Home: ~/.gnupg
| Supported algorithms:
| Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
| Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
| Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

- --
L8r,

Carl L. Gilbert