Self Decrypting Archives

Joseph Bruni jbruni@mac.com
Fri Jun 20 07:22:03 2003

I think it was hospitality which is notoriously full of Luddites. The
vendors (airlines mostly) that I work with also like to generate
separate keys for each partner. I suspect that they just don't grok
what a public key really is. At my company we mandate either (1) SSH2
or (2) OpenPGP. If they don't play, we tell them to take a hike
regardless of the "sensitivity" of the information.

Once an interface has been put into place, it's all too easy for
marketing people to add more and more information until you've crossed
the line into violating the EU Privacy Directive and/or the US Safe
Harbor policy. It the interface is already secure, the marketing people
can have their way with it.

I feel your pain regarding the EOLN conversion. It seems like the
vendors who are using Windows are the least helpful. They always expect
us Unix people to do their EOLN conversion.