encryption

Ben Finney bignose@zip.com.au
Mon Jun 30 03:55:39 2003

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On 28-Jun-2003, CL Gilbert wrote:
> I sent an email to someone.  I encrypted it.

In that order? :-)

> If I look at the email in my sent folder, I can still read it.  If I
> look at the source of the email, I can see that it is encrypted.  Why
> am I able to decrypt this email and read it?  I though the encryption
> was one way and only the private key could decrypt it!?
>=20
> P.S. I am using enigmail.

Mutt, my MUA of choice, has an option to "include me in the recipients
whenever I encrypt a message"; this allows me to read messages I've
encrypted.  You may want to see if enigmail is doing the same.

Regardless, you should be able to pipe the data through gpg and it will
(after you unlock your own key) list the recipient keys to which the
message was encrypted as well as show the plain text.

--=20
 \         "Truth would quickly cease to become stranger than fiction, |
  `\                  once we got as used to it."  -- Henry L. Mencken |
bignose@zip.com.au  F'print 9CFE12B0 791A4267 887F520C B7AC2E51 BD41714B

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--