encryption

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Mon Jun 30 20:59:13 2003

--Boundary-02=_/iIA/5KTILMZVqd

On Monday 30 June 2003 15:06, CL Gilbert wrote:
>  My
> sent mail box does not contain the actual mail sent, but a different
> email.

Just curious: are you sure that this is so? Personally, I'd probably be=20
annoyed enough to change the MUA if I discovered this to be the case. With=
=20
both kmail and evolution, I never discovered a discrepancy between the Sent=
=20
mail folder and the mail that went over the wire, as far as I remember. If =
I=20
send it encrypted, it is encrypted in my sent mail folder.

To your original problem: store the encrypted message and pipe it through '=
gpg=20
=2D-list-packets'. The output is rather cryptical, but you can see what's g=
oing=20
on. For example, if I encrypt a message to you with my default preferences,=
=20
what I see is (edited down)

:pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 54053AEC751C3BF9
        data: [2042 bits]
        data: [2048 bits]
:pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 32C8C53308C279D8
        data: [1024 bits]
        data: [1023 bits]
:encrypted data packet:
        length: 33

If you read Anthony's explanation, you should be able to interpret this (th=
e=20
length of the encrypted data is so small because all I encrypted here was t=
he=20
text  'Blah, Fasel').

cheers
=2D- vbi