Robots in the WoT (clean version)

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder avbidder@fortytwo.ch
Mon Jun 30 08:10:03 2003

--Boundary-02=_dS9/+B9BxKbmaLK

On Monday 30 June 2003 05:31, David Shaw wrote:

> 2) There are MUCH richer sources of addresses out there.  A spammer
>    can pull a never-ending stream of addresses from the web and/or
>    usenet.  Comparatively, the keyservers are worthless.

The difference being that on PGP keys, people tend to use their 'real'=20
addresses, whereas on Usenet they use a throwaway account.

But OTOH, spammers usually are paid per message sent, not per message=20
delivered, so bogus/old addresses don't bother them that much as long as=20
there's an MX for the domain...

In my case, I havre the email address published in probably most of the=20
spammers' address CDs anyway by now, so I don't care much. And I agree with=
=20
you: harvesting from keyservers probably requires too much of a specific=20
effort on the spammers' part. (Hmmmm, but wasn't there a discussion about=20
somebody hammering a keyserver with requests just a month ago or something =
on=20
the pgp-keyserver-folk mailing list?)

cheers
=2D- vbi