Problem entering passphrase

John Hill jhill@munis.com
Mon Mar 17 20:37:01 2003

Hello all,

I had a problem a while ago where GnuPG appeared to be hanging before
prompting me to enter my passphrase.  I have since found that the system was
not hanging but actually waiting for me to enter my passphrase, even though
it never prompted me for it.

I put some tty_printf statments in various places to find where this was
happening.  I found that depending upon where I put these statements I could
get the program to prompt me for the passphrase.  This also held true when I
try to debug it using GnuDb.  Below is what I see when I place a break in
the ask_passphrase function at the tty_printf(_("You need a Passphrase to
protect your secret key.\n\n") ); line and then step through line by line.

Begin Screen Shot --------------------------------
(gdb) s
gettext (
    msgid=0x80db900 "You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.\n\n")
    at intl-compat.c:87
87        return gettext__ (msgid);
(gdb) s
gettext__ (
    msgid=0x80db900 "You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.\n\n")
    at gettext.c:58
58        return DCGETTEXT (NULL, msgid, LC_MESSAGES);
(gdb) s
dcgettext__ (domainname=0x0,
    msgid=0x80db900 "You need a Passphrase to protect your secret key.\n\n",
    category=6) at dcgettext.c:52
52        return DCIGETTEXT (domainname, msgid, NULL, 0, 0, category);
(gdb) s

At this point GnuPG is sitting waiting for a passphrase.  If I enter one I
am then prompted "Repeat passphrase:"  I am not sure where to go from here
and any direction would be appreciated.  I am using gcc 2.95 and make 3.76.1
(both precompiled) that I obtained from the SCO Skunkware site.  I am
compiling GnuPG version 1.2.1 on an SCO Openserver 5.0.5 machine.

John Hill