I have no idea about "IDEA."

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 19 18:33:02 2003

Elf Spice wrote:

>isn't idea patented?

Yes, but only for commercial use and only in some countries. Personally I
don't care about those patents. I also copy CD's for my friends, that's
formally also forbidden.

And besides, if Ascom wants to prove I sent a commercial message encrypted
with IDEA they have to crack it, thereby proving either IDEA or RSA or
ElGamal too weak. If they do the first the patent loses any value because
it would prove IDEA is weak so noone would pay for it any more, the later
would be something I would like to risk an angry letter of their lawyer for.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html