OT

Johan Wevers johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 31 01:54:02 2003

engage wrote:

> I don't know if the gnupg.org website was hacked but I have to state that
> such emotional political statements have no business on such a website.

Why not? As the war in Iraq is a matter that moves many people severely, I
see no reason why an author would not make such statements on his website.

Further, since the agressive US politics have always had their influence on
crypto (remember the attacks on pgp, and the reason most serious open source
crypto developments are not located in the USA) and the current US regime is
using the attacks on 11-9-2001 as an excuse to limit personal freedom and
command other nations what to do even more than before, the war has probably
indirect consequences on crypto in general and on GnuPG.

> Such statements have nothing to do with the GnuPG product.

Indirectly they do. And even if they didn't, why would an author not state
personal opinions on his website?

> Let's keep things professional.

That's a common excuse to remove all personal stuff from anything. I prefer
to see the proffesionalism in good GnuPG source code.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html