[Q] Uploading my public key to a key server.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera@math.umd.edu
Sun May 11 05:25:02 2003

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

> > I plan on starting to sign my emails, but that doesn't advertise my pub=
lic=20
> > key, does it?
>=20
> It advertises the keyid of your signing key, which someone could then
> use to retrieve the key from a keyserver.  Of course, it has to get to
> the keyserver first.
>=20
> Use "gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --send-key (thekeyid)"
>=20
> HOWEVER: DON'T DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP AND A REVOCATION
> 	 CERTIFICATE!

Oh, thanks for the warning.

1) I have a revocation certificate.  I printed a paper copy and put it in m=
y=20
wallet.  I also encrypted and signed the file and put it in ~/.gnupg.  Are =
these=20
the usual ways to safeguard the revocation certificate?

2) What do I need to backup?  My private key?
I don't have a CD burner, so I don't really know how I can make a secure ba=
ckup.

--=20
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.
University of Maryland.  (301) 405-5137

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69--