[Q] Uploading my public key to a key server.

Eugene Smiley eugene@esmiley.net
Sun May 11 06:32:11 2003

Daniel wrote:=20
>> HOWEVER: DON'T DO THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE A BACKUP AND A
>> 	 REVOCATION CERTIFICATE!
>=20
> 1) I have a revocation certificate.  I printed a paper copy and
> put it in my wallet.  I also encrypted and signed the file and
> put it in ~/.gnupg.  Are these the usual ways to safeguard the
> revocation certificate?=20

Having encrypted the revocation certificate will do you little good=20
if you forget your passphrase, which is not uncommon.

> 2) What do I need to backup?  My private key?
> I don't have a CD burner, so I don't really know how I can make a
> secure backup.=20

The easiest thing would be to use a floppy disk. Copy your keypair
and the revocation certificate on to it and stash it away. Don't=20
forget, however, that if you change the passphrase on your keypair
that you should update your backup, lest you forget the passphrase
that was in effect when you made the copy. ;)

Eugene