Opportunistic Encryption [Was: Keys not trusted]

vedaal@hush.com vedaal@hush.com
Wed May 14 23:59:02 2003

{if this doesn't verify, it's hush's fault  ;-)   }

>Message: 4
>Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:36:54 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@IUPUI.Edu>
>To: GNU Privacy Guard users <gnupg-users@gnupg.org>
>Subject: Re: Opportunistic Encryption [Was: Keys not trusted]

[...]

>I need a little help here.  What, exactly, would an "anonymous"
>key
>*mean*?  To what would a document signed by such a key be bound,
> and why
>would I care?

[...]

consider the case of an anonymous user/poster on the net,
who consistently signs posts with a certain key

depending on the content of the posts,
whether accurate, informative, civil, or just plain interesting,

knowing that a post, article, or file, has been signed my that key,
can be useful in determining how to consider the information there.
{ignore it as irrelevant,  downloading it and read it as an
informative resource, or just casually checking it because 'the
person who signs with that key usually has an interesting take on
things' }

it provides a very nice forum for an individual's ideas to be
considered on their objective merits, and to be able to build a
reputation based on those ideas,
while still maintaining a comfortable barrier of anonymity,
between the person's interests and hobbies,
and the person's personal and professional life.

[...]

>(I'm always swimming against the current.  While it seems everyone
>else
>wants to become invisible, I've been wondering how to go about
getting
>really high-quality identity documents, both paper and electronic.
>*want* to be well-known, *on my terms*.)

[...]

having your preferred key signed by other already 'well-known'
respected people in your area of interest, might be a simple
practical start ...

with Respect,

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: