Keys not trusted

John A. Martin jam@jamux.com
Fri May 16 21:56:02 2003

--=-=-=

    ds> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:16:06AM +0200, Adrian
    ds> 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
    >> On Friday 16 May 2003 03:54, David Shaw wrote:
    >>
    >> > It's one of those eternal questions whether it is better if a
    >> > system is perfectly secure, but not many people use it, or if
    >> > it is less secure, and many people use it.  One way to put
    >> > this is to ask whether it is better to encrypt and be
    >> > vulnerable to a man in the middle attack... or to not encrypt
    >> > and be vulnerable to everything ;)
    >>
    >> I guess for some the big is that the people using a
    >> security-made-easy system
[...]
    >> when the first attack comes that uses this
[...]
    >> will yell

    ds> Yes, this is absolutely true.  I'm not sure what the answer is
    ds> for that except perhaps education... and we all know that
    ds> users don't read the manuals ;)

We lock flimsy doors with weak locks so that it becomes _breaking and
entering_ when someone enters by forcing a door.

        jam

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--