Encouraging email security.

Ingo Klöcker ingo.kloecker@epost.de
Mon May 19 01:23:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_HTBy+Ffi4lhhoK5

On Sunday 18 May 2003 23:34, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> ** Jean-David Beyer (Sonntag, 18. Mai 2003 22:52)
>
> > They WILL CARE the first time someone hijacks some very private
> > information and gets it on the front page of their local newspaper,
> > blackmails them, or turns it over to the FBI or something. But by
> > then it will be too late.
>
> I'm one of Joes or Harrys of the unwashed masses. Most of my friends
> and aquaintances are. We exchange mails, we post to newsgroups and/or
> mailing lists. In 99% of all cases those mails and postings never
> consisted of 'sensitive' or even 'embarrassing' material. It is very
> difficult to reason with something which is not there.
>
> I used PGP and am now using GnuPG in Linux. But just the other week I
> tried to convince a neighbor to use signing and en-/decryption. "Why
> should I? Everybody can read what I'm writing. There's nothing I have
> to hide! I'm not a crook or such!"

Does your neighbor know that making backups of "copy-protected" CDs is=20
illegal in some states (e.g. U.S.A., Germany, Denmark, Malaysia)? Did=20
he never backup any CDs for nor share any files with his friends? Did=20
he never use an unauthorized backup copy of a piece of software? Is he=20
sure that he never spoke in an email message about any of this? Did he=20
never write anything impolite about another person (his wife, his=20
superiors, a politician)? Did he never forward a picture or a joke that=20
could be considered non-PC? He must be a new-born.

Today making backups of CDs and DVDs is illegal. What's next? Nobody=20
knows. So one better makes sure that as few people as possible know=20
what you write in your email messages. Better be paranoid (or cautious)=20
today than in jail tomorrow.

Regards,
Ingo