Forgot my passphrase.

Daniel Carrera dcarrera@math.umd.edu
Mon May 26 05:05:03 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 07:57:26PM -0700, Joseph Bruni wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> If you are on a Unix system, it might make sense to do an in-place
> backup using something like RCS. This would simply check-in a revision
> of the key ring files into a revision controlled ",v" file. You could
> keep it in your ~/.gnupg directory as a matter of convenience. Revision
> control is not just for software development.
>
> Joe

Yes, I'm on Unix.  I'm not really familiar with revision control.  At
least, not beyond using CVS a few times.

Tell me if I understand RCS correctly:
RCS would keep track of all changes made over a period of time.  So I
could bring my keyring back to a previous keyring with the old password.
Did I get it right?

In that case, doesn't that miss the point of changing the passphrase?
Since my hard drive would still contain a copy of my keyring with the old
passphrase.

Or... can I use RCS along with some removable media?

Where can I learn about RCS?

Thanks a lot.
--
Daniel Carrera         | OpenPGP fingerprint:
Graduate TA, Math Dept | 6643 8C8B 3522 66CB D16C D779 2FDD 7DAC 9AF7 7A88