MDC confusion.

Stewart V. Wright svwright@liverpool.ac.uk
Mon May 26 11:35:45 2003

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

Hi,

I am having some confusion with modification detection code (MDC).

I'm using the 1.2.3-cvs version (from the 7th of May) of GnuPG.

I just changed my gpg.conf file and changed from
  no-force-v3-sigs
to=20
  openpgp

Which should make my signatures/encryptions entirely OpenPGP
compatible.

Unfortunately when I decrypt anything I get the following warning:
  gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

I don't get the warning when I go back to no-force-v3-sigs.

This isn't an issue with my key (AFAIK) as I generated (another) test
key which has the following preferences:

  Command> showpref
  pub  1024D/6DA6A7C3  created: 2003-05-20 expires: never      trust: u/u
  (1). Test Key
       Cipher: AES256, AES192, AES, CAST5, 3DES
       Digest: SHA1, RIPEMD160
       Compression: ZLIB, ZIP, Uncompressed
       Features: MDC
 =20
The command I used for my testing was:

  gpg --armor -u 6DA6A7C3 --sign --output msg1.asc --encrypt -r 6DA6A7C3 msg

(i.e. sign and encrypt to self...)

My gpg.conf is

#no-force-v3-sigs
openpgp