Timing test of GnuPG and old PGP

Hunter, Bryan Bryan_Hunter at archway.com
Tue Nov 11 15:51:24 CET 2003

Thank you all for your help and interest.  The PGP was using IDEA and the
GnuPG was using Triple-DES.  Retesting with CAST5 yielded similar timings.

This brings up an interesting question (at least to me).  PGP carries the
symmetric cipher type with the public key.  Switching from PGP to GnuPG
while maintaining transparency to the recipient would seemingly require IDEA
for those who have specified it.  Being in the USA, this would presumably
require a license?  Are licenses available?

Please excuse the delay in reporting back on my original query.
Thanks,
Bryan Hunter