IDEA licence (was: Timing test of GnuPG and old PGP )

Holger Sesterhenn Holger.Sesterhenn at smgwtest.aachen.utimaco.de
Thu Nov 13 09:41:38 CET 2003

Hi,

> This brings up an interesting question (at least to me).  PGP carries the
> symmetric cipher type with the public key.  Switching from PGP to GnuPG
> while maintaining transparency to the recipient would seemingly require IDEA
> for those who have specified it.  Being in the USA, this would presumably
> require a license?  Are licenses available?

Try www.mediacrypt.com. There is a FAQ about IDEA.

You can avoid using IDEA because most of the current OpenPGP compliant
implementations can handle 3DES or CAST as a symmetric cypher.

If you import your keys from PGP to GnuPG, you should remove IDEA from the
preferences and update your key on the public keyservers, if necessary.

Best Regards,

Holger Sesterhenn
Internet   http://www.utimaco.com