Small problem with 1.2.3

gabriel rosenkoetter gr at eclipsed.net
Fri Nov 28 12:32:46 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 05:33:54PM +0200, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:
> Sorry for bothering this list, but I did not find the answer in FAQ.

Huh. It ought to be. I haven't (ever, come to think of it) looked
at GnuPG's FAQ, though, so...

> gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
> gpg: armor header: Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
> gpg: CRC error; 5b577e - dc35b5
> gpg: quoted printable character in armor - probably a buggy MTA has been used
>
> I do not have any problems with messages from other friends.

Well, is this friend sending email with MS Outlook or through an
Exchange server?

The message is pretty clear, provided you know what quoted printable
means. It means that, for instance, instead of lines ending in a
space, they end in the string "=20". It's a format to keep email
from being mangled, but since things like =20 in the middle of PGP
ASCII-armored key data COULD be valid, we can't be sure what to
leave and what to remove (quoted printable replaces other characters
than line-ending =20s).

Either your friend didn't attach the key with the proper MIME type
or the MTA he's sending it through doesn't know about the PGP MIME
types and made the (poor) decision to mangle MIME types it doesn't
understand.

Your friend transmitting their public key to you through a different
channel (say, putting it on a web server for you to download) will
probably solve this problem.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr at eclipsed.net