newbie question...

Jonathan Goulding jonathan@simster.net
Thu Oct 2 02:07:02 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C38857.D5C62210

I am a law student learning VB for fun and getting a bit too involved. I =
should be researching a brief right now.=20

In any event, I apoligize for asking an elementary question here but I =
would appreciate any pointers...=20

I am trying to run gpg.exe from within a VB app (specifically, "gpg =
--gen-key" at this point). I know one way to do this type of thing: =
ProcID =3D Shell ("c:\gpg --gen-key"). But then gpg wants to know the =
key size, my name, passphrase, etc. What I would like to know is how to =
use the process ID (or anything else) to send that particular shell =
first the key size, my name, etc. Oddly enough (to me anyway), =
AppActivate (procID) returns an error code of 5 (i think this means the =
process is supposedly no longer existing) and SendKeys (name, =
passphrase,etc) creates about 7 command windows trying to run gpg =
instead of sending the keys to the one open window. I know that, for =
example, winpt manages gpg from within the app, so I know it is =
possible. =20

In any event, any tips would be greatly appreciated or just pointers to =
code examples doing similar things that I could look at. =20

Oh, I use windows xp.  Sorry ;)

-Jonathan

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C38857.D5C62210

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>I am a law student learning VB for fun and getting a bit too =
involved. I=20
should be researching a brief right now. <BR><BR>In any event, I =
apoligize for=20
asking an elementary question here but I would appreciate any =
pointers...=20
<BR><BR>I am trying to run gpg.exe from within a VB app (specifically, =
"gpg=20
--gen-key" at this point). I know one way to do this type of thing: =
ProcID =3D=20
Shell ("c:\gpg --gen-key"). But then gpg wants to know the key size, my =
name,=20
passphrase, etc. What I would like to know is how to use the process ID =
(or=20
anything else) to send that particular shell first the key size, my =
name, etc.=20
Oddly enough (to me anyway), AppActivate (procID) returns an error code =
of 5 (i=20
think this means the process is supposedly no longer existing) and =
SendKeys=20
(name, passphrase,etc)&nbsp;creates about 7 command windows trying to =
run gpg=20
instead of sending the keys to the one open window.&nbsp;I know that, =
for=20
example, winpt manages gpg from within the app, so I know it is =
possible.&nbsp;=20
<BR><BR>In any event, any tips would be greatly appreciated or just =
pointers to=20
code examples doing similar things that I could look at.&nbsp; =
<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh, I use windows xp.&nbsp; Sorry =
;)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR>-Jonathan<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C38857.D5C62210--