newbie question about identities

Atom 'Smasher' atom-gpg at suspicious.org
Fri Oct 10 03:00:14 CEST 2003

> Thank you for offering to fix the offending passage(s).

ok, so the part that i'm taking issue with is:
	Additional user IDs are useful when you need multiple identities.
	For example, you may have an identity for your job and an identity
	for your work as a political activist. Coworkers will know you by
	your work user ID. Coactivists will know you by your activist user
	ID. Since those groups of people may not overlap, though, each
	group may not trust the other user ID. Both user IDs are therefore
	necessary.
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN282

i'd prefer to see something like:
	Additional user IDs are convenient when you use multiple names or
	email addresses which do not [socially] conflict with each other.
	For example, you may have a day job working with computers
	(employee at big-corp), and you also take night classes at a
	university (student at university). If it's OK that people
	who know you from one environment can also know that you're
	affiliated with the other environment, then both IDs can share the
	same key.

	On the other hand, if you work for Big-Corp, and you're also the
	webmaster at Big-Corp-Sucks, then it's probably a better idea that
	these IDs do *NOT* share the same key. GnuPG allows you to create
	additional key pairs, which is important if you don't want one ID
	to point directly to another ID. Additional key pairs can be
	created the same way as your first key pair, with --gen-key . When
	encrypting or signing, use the --local-user option to specify an
	ID other than the default.

any comments?

are there any documentation maintainers on this list?

        ...atom

PGP key - http://smasher.suspicious.org/pgp.txt
3EBE 2810 30AE 601D 54B2 4A90 9C28 0BBF 3D7D 41E3

        "It is estimated that we spend $322,000 for each enemy we
	 kill, while we spend in the so-called war on poverty in
	 America only about $53 for each person classified as
	 'poor'. And much of that $53 goes for salaries of people
	 who are not poor. We have escalated the war in Viet Nam
	 and de-escalated the skirmish against poverty. It
	 challenges the imagination to contemplate what lives we
	 could transform if we were to cease killing."
		-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
		The Casualties of the War in Vietnam,